Velika vas, Grossdorf
Litography of mansion Velika Vas made in 1679 by Johann Weikhard von Valvasor.
Region: Lower Carniola
Settlement: Velika vas pri Krškem
Building: Velika Vas
First mentioned: in the year 1680
Preservation: Partial traces
*The mansion Velika Vas was standing in the settlement of Leskovec pri Krškem, which was first mentioned in 895 as Haselbach (Hazel creek).
*In the vicinity of the mansion a large number of Roman artifacts were discovered. It is assumed that the settlement is a part of the outskirt of the Roman city of Municipium Flavium Latobicorum Neviodunum. When the motorway was being constructed a foundations of Roman villa, firing kilns, plumbing pipes, brickhouses, mounds, several hundred skeleton burials, a Roman road and Roman mile stone dedicated to Caesar Marcus Catilius Severus Annius Verus were discoverd.
*The initial builder of the mansion was the noble family Buseth and had possession of the property until the death of the their last descendant. Widow Maria Ana von Buseth (born Rasp) during renovations found the famous Roman mile stone that still stands in the middle of the village.
*Johann Weichard Valvasor the author of the book Die Ehre dess Hertzogthums Crain from 1689, wrote that Roman copper and silver coins can be found in the fields, that Roman columns are still rising from the grounds and a lot of Roman tombstones can be found here.
*In 1790 the property was purchased by the noble family Auersperg and the mansion was expanded and a masive park was created in 1808. In 1829 a group of Hajduk bandits tried to attack and rob nearby castle Leskovec, but the the owners were alerted by the pending attack and prepared defences. Hajduks than aborted the mission and on the way back to the safty of Krakov forest spoted the mansion Velika Vas. At three in the morning they shouted at the doors of mansion and woke up the Auersperg family and their servants. The Count Richard Auersperg opend the window and shouted at them but the bandits shot him in the chest and he fled with his family to the attic of the mansion. The loud noise woke up the entire village and the church bell started to ring as a sign of danger. Bandits in anger shoot at the church belfry and forced the mansion manager to give them all of his money, before they escaped in the forest.
After the abolition of fief system, the Auersperg sold all the estates in 1853.
Image of Hajduk bandit made by Christoph Weigel the Elder in 1703
*In 1899 they were followed by bourgeois owner Mihael Fahrer who died soon after the purchase and was succeeded by widow Antonija Kacijan. In 1912 she sold estate to landlord Franc Bertol. Because of his financial problems, Bertole sold the estate in the same year to the family Pirc who are the owners to this day.
*During the First World War, the mansion was converted into a hospital.
*A smaller wine mansion called Nemška vas (Teutschdorf) belonged to the Velika Vas mansion as a vineyard. The wine mansion was destroyed and on top of it a residential house was build, but the wine cellar is stil perserved.
*During the World War II the beautifull park was destroyed by german troops who build anti-tank tranch in the midlle of the park. Today only one 25m linden tree and two oriental planes remain. A massive anti-tank concrete block was still standing by the road, but was removed recently.
*In 1987, the Velika Vas mansion was demolished due to the poor roof and cracked walls.
Images from the book: Spomini bilo je nekdaj, author Alojz Pirc
Image made by Vigilant Knight
Spomini bilo je nekdaj, avtor: Alojz Pirc
Velika in Gorenja vas , Leskovec pri Krškem, authors: Jernej Rihter-Ljudmila Šribar, Alojz Pirc-Zdenka Horvat
45°55’7,8″ N 15°27’26,33″ E