Geyrowe, Gyriov, Gairach, Geirach, Jurklošter
Georg Matthäus Vischer – Topographia Ducatus Stiria, Gairach bei Tüffer in 1681
* The settlement is for the first time mentioned in 1145 as Geyrowe and in 1203 as Gyriov.
*The monastery was founded by Bishop Henrik I in 1170 and was confirmed by Pope Alexander III in 1173 or 1174.
*In 1185 the monastery housed 12 fathers, 16 brothers and one prior.
*In 1199, the Bishop Ekhardt removed French Carthusians and replaced them by the Christian diocese.
*In the year 1205 a cemetary was build.
* The name Jurklošter originates from the name Jurjevo (masculine Slavic name Yury), as the settlement was originaly named before construction of the monastery. The locals pronounced it as Jirje (Yury`s) but the French monks distorted the name in the gyri-owe from which the name Geyrowe is derived. Later under German influence the estate was called Gairach.
* Carthusian monastery Jurklošter was one of the three oldest Central European Carthusian monasteries. The first Carthusians were the French and the Italians, who said that they come to Slavonia. Slavonia was a huge region that was split in half. Upper part came under the influence of Holy Roman Empire (now Slovenian region Styria) and lower part under Hungarian kingdom (now Croatian region that is still called Slavonia).
* In 1227, the The famous Duke of Styria, Leopold VI. converted a wooden monastery to stone building.
* 17. 10. 1428 Hermann II, Count of Celje ordered the murder of his sons wife noble Veronika of Desenice in the castle Ojstrica. After the death of Herman II, son Count Friderik II. Celjski transported her body from settlement Braslovče to the Jurklošter monastery and placed here in a sarcophagus. In 1471, monastery was devastated by the Turks who demolished the sarcophagus of Veronika and stole valuables from her dead body.
*In the Laško city Square, the Carthusians had their own wine cellar and a public steam bath with a bathing master. In 1506 there were 14 patrons and 6 brothers in the monastery, but later their number was decreasing.
*In 1542 Carthusians had 450 serfs laiboring for them.
* In 1573, peasant leader Ilija Gregorič attacked monastery in the Croatian–Slovene Peasant Revolt.
*Due to poor conditions, the Archduke Ernest, the guardian of the minor Emperor Ferdinand II, took the monastery Carthusian in 1591 and handed it over to the Jesuits in Graz. The Jesuits were the owners of Jurklošter until 1773, when their order was dissolved. Most of the monastic books from the huge librarie were taken to Graz, only a few examples were left in Slovene city Ljubljana.
* In 1635 the monastery was once again devastated by rebelious farmers in second Slovene uprising. 15.000 peasants captured around 70 castles, mansions and monasteries. After two months of fighting the pesants were defeated by 1800 irregular Uskok army. As seen in Georg Matthäus Vischer topography from 1681 most of the monastery is still in ruin.
* In 1780, after the removal of the ruins from the monastery, a mansion was built on the site.
* In 1945, the whole complex was burnt down by the partisans.
Images made by Vigilant Knight
Jurklošter nekoč in danes, author Edo Jelovšek
Source: Jurklošter gradovi.net
Source: Jurklošter wikipedija
Source: Zgodovina kartuzije Jurklošter
Source: File:Vischer – Topographia Ducatus Stiria – 097 Gairach bei Tüffer – Jurkloster.jpg
Latitude: 46 ° 5’41.32 “S
Longitude: 15 ° 20’40.54 “V