Ostraž, Ostros, Uštras, Ostrož (SLO), Wolfstrazz, Hochstras, Ostrouche(GER)
Tower house is for the first time mentioned in 1392 as Wolfstrazz meaning wolf guard. In 1421 tower house is mentioned as hof ze Wolffstrazz and in 1423 as Wolfstrass under Preisegk owned by Ulrik Porger. Owner nobleman Janez Jakob Mureti who was Chief of Staff in Bavaria rebuild tower house which was in a poor state. At the end of 17th century the tower house burned down, but was restored. The building collapsed in the 20th century. Today there are no visible traces left.
Ulrik Porger (1423), Pogner, Ivan Mosheimer (1514), Severin Shweitzer (1565), nobleman Janez Jakob Mureti (1645), baron Janez Jurij Kheysell (1658), noblewoman Elizabeth Apfaltrer (1693), count Janez Ernest Paradeiser, baron Janez Lovrenc Wernegkh (1710), Nobleman Jelovšek Fichtenau (20th century).
…so it does not have good neighbors, because there are Uskoks, with bad habits, rogue of which we have already talked several times, these are better neighbors when they are as far away as possible. And that’s their glory owned well since ancient times. And so many years ago they were able to break in to the tower because of betrayal of the cook and sadly killed with a knife the owner Severin Schweitzer.
Legend written by Johann Weikhard von Valvasor 1679.
Johann Weikhard von Valvasor, The Glory of the Duchy of Carniola 1689.
Ivan Stopar, Grajske stavbe v Sloveniji.
45°48’3,94″ N 15°18’46,55″ E
Latest posts by VigilantKnigh (see all)
- Antique Fortified Settlement Ajdovski Gradec🏰⚔🔍 - 6 Nov 2018
- Shepherd And The Three Fairies – Old Slovenian Folk Tale - 2 Nov 2018
- The Beginning Of The World-Old Slovenian Folk Tale - 1 Nov 2018