In the year 98 AD, romans build a trading post on the river Krka island. Main function of the island was trading of iron ore which was being mined nearby. Today the location is called Drama and the name itself is probably derived from the Latin word dromos, which means access. In the year 980, the first regular army from the Byzantine court was brought to island by Hema of Carinthia due to the constant danger of incursions by Hungarians. In 1139, the market came to an end due to a severe flood but was rebuild. In the documents, the Forum Gutenwerde was first mentioned in 1251 as market, which means that the market had its own coat of arms and the right to walls with towers, which could only be approved by the Emperor. In 1254, the first domestic judge Gerhard was appointed. In addition to the castle, the seat of the judiciary (provincial court), mint and cashmere, there was also a parish with three island churches: the parish church of St. Katarina (destroyed in 1809), the affiliated church of St. Nikolai, at the port of the river on the north side, at the south entrance to the market, and the church of an unknown patron saint – supposedly dedicated to St. Michael, who existed until the end of the 13th century and was only discovered by archaeological excavations. Six Roman roads were running from and along the market. One ran from the market Gutenwerde to the nearby Roman city of Crucium – today’s settlement of Groblje pri Prekopi. According to the oral tradition market Gutenwerde is supposed to be the oldest market in Carniola region. The market started to decline at the 14th century with the founding of the Habsburgs new city, today Novo mesto (urban rights granted in 1365). The beginning of the end of this once rich market was triggered by the constant incursions of Hungarians and the destruction of surrounding agriculture in 1414. The Turkish unsuccessful siege of the market in 1469. In the 1473 the Turks returned with a much larger army and Gutenwerde was surrounded by all sides and the river closed by enemy ships. In the market residents of 52 villages found refuge. The Turks bombarded the market with cannons and tried to clime the walls, but brave defenders managed to beat them twice. Unfortunately, in the third round, the Turks managed to break into the inside of the market where massive extermination began. All men were killed, some women were taken as slaves to harems and kidnapped children were sent to brainwashing training for a elite janissary army. The priests picked up valuables from the churches, loaded them on board of a ship and sank it at a nearby location called Irglc, where the River Krka was seven meters deep. The market Gutenwerde was burned down and never recovered. A handful of survivors ran to the neighboring castle built in the 13th century, which stood in the present-day settlement Hrvaški brod, and later established a new smaller Gutenwerth market. In 1492, the Turks hit again and ravaged the new market and demolished the old castle. That same year, the headquarters of the parish went to settlement Škocjan, as it is still today. Ruins of both markets were used as building material for housings and a new mansion with the same name Gutenwerthe was built which was destroyed in 1894 by an earthquake. Today only a small portion of once rich market was excavated.